Monday, June 7, 2010

{The Highest Calling}



Miss Jen over at Blessed Femina recently shared a truly thought-provoking quotation by G K Chesterton on her blog which really inspired me...  Although I work full time in a busy work environment I'm reminded that the most divine and highest calling is not the amount of hours you work in a week, or how perfectly you've run the office for the day but it's in doing the day-to-day tasks in life... Although I don't have the privilege of mothering little chicks yet... I consider this to be a future occupation for me...

May the other young ladies out there who are diligently doing the tasks that lie nearest gain encouragement from this little passage...




“To be Queen Elizabeth within a definite area, deciding sales, banquets, labours and holidays; to be Whiteley within a certain area, providing toys, boots, sheets, cakes and books; to be Aristotle within a certain area, teaching morals, manners, theology, and hygiene; I can understand how this might exhaust the mind, but I cannot imagine how it could narrow it. How can it be a large career to tell other people’s children about the Rule of Three, and a small career to tell one’s own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, and narrow to be everything to someone? No; a woman’s function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. I will pity Mrs. Jones for the hugeness of her task; I will never pity her for its smallness.

Photography: John&Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment